Pages

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Quick Bentley Update

I am at a loss for words at the things that continue to happen to our family in the past three weeks. Between Bentley's tumor,/surgery, the garage door, me rear-ending someone, and every other thing under the sun you can think of, I'm about to have a nervous breakdown.

I know a few of you were waiting on an update, so I'll make this short. Bentley's biopsy results came back today. The cysts in the back were normal, and the tumor in the front is not cancer though it is a benign tumor that acts as cancer and is incredibly aggressive. The margins around the tumor that was removed are not clear, which would necessitate another surgery to be sure he is cured. Adopting a "wait and see" approach will likely mean it's only a matter of time until it returns and we do it all over again.

I'm so upset about this--not only because we love our dog to death but because this is certainly not how I envisioned spending thousands of dollars before our second child arrived.

Prayers would be appreciated. We are a grumpy, sad, tired  mess right now and it just seems like the hits keep on coming. His surgery is next Thursday.

Updated: We met with the surgeon this morning; his surgery is next Thursday. They will go back in, remove additional jawbone, the canine tooth beside the tumor location, and another small incisor in the front. We'll go back to blending his food and him wearing a cone. They did say his pain will be worse this next time so he'll wear a pain patch on the back of a leg to deliver a continuous dose of medication. Poor thing.

4 comments:

Aliya said...

Oh sweets... hope everything turns around for you soon!! Thinking of you and your fam! xoxo

Merb said...

Praying for you. Please remember, and I know you know this...He will not give you any more than you can handle. Hang in there.

SEL said...

So sorry. Dogs are like human family members for us, so I can only imagine how hard this is for you all. Praying for the best possible outcome for everyone.

Aunt Polly said...

We feel the pain and sadness you are experiencing with your beloved dog. We will continue to pray for all of you. Pets are such a joy - and sadness. It makes me cry to read your blog. Trusting all will be well soon.