Pages

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Our nonexistence

Well. That was a little impromptu blog break. We've been MIA for a long time! We didn't intend for it to be like that but then with the hurricane, trick-or-treating, and one MISERABLE teething baby, I had zero time for blogging.

So yes. We fared perfectly fine in the hurricane save a few branches down in the front yard. Many family members were without power for a long time, and still are. I get sucked into the coverage of the hurricane and can't even fathom what some people are going through right now.

In the days leading up to Hurricane Sandy, we jumped on the preparation train in a big way. All I could think about was "Dear God, please don't make us lose power with two small kids." But, darn it, if we were going to lose power, we were going to be prepared!! We put away everything outside that could be blown away, took photos of the cars and the house, bought looots of bottled water and filled our huge camping thermos, filled the grill's propane tanks and our cars' gas tanks, bought lots of ice and stashed it in the freezer in case we needed to move our refrigerated food into coolers, did ALL the laundry, cleaned, etc.

And then we buckled down and waited. While we certainly DID get effects of the storm, it was nothing like I had envisioned, and the power only flickered once! Aside from many, many cold and rainy days, we escaped unscathed.

Trick-or-treating was moved to Saturday afternoon and it was FREEZING. I literally think I have two pictures while we were out because we were trying to keep things moving along. But, Carter was the sweetest little turtle I ever did see. I never did put Addison in her costume because it was SO cold and she was wrapped up so much in the stroller anyway, so it would have been useless!

And finally, our sweet, precious, laid-back baby girl has been anything but. She's a doll, but ohmyword, the teething makes her incredibly miserable...so miserable, in fact, that I took her to the doctor on Wednesday JUST to be sure it wasn't her ears. It wasn't, but they said she's about to get four (FOUR!) teeth, and to use all the standard comfort measures (Trust me, honey, I already am.). Well, little girl isn't looking to eat or sleep, so it's been interesting.

Thankfully, last night, I broke down and re-swaddled her. We had been working on breaking her of it for the last few weeks but I remembered back to the golden days when she slept all night when swaddled and VOILA!, she did it again. So, needless to say, she's rockin' it baby burrito style tonight. Please, Jesus, please. Let that be the answer!

Is it bad that it's only 8:29 p.m. but since it feels like 9:29, I'm tired and want to go to bed already?

No comments: